Monday, February 18, 2013

Music Kits

I don't know about you, but I was getting tired of taking up so much class time in passing out manipulatives! I talking almost 10 mins! That's ridiculous!  So I knew I wanted all my supplies at the finger tips of the students. That's where I decided something had to be done. Music Kits.

Each kit has a number on it that correlates with where the student sits on my colored risers (Wenger Flip Forms). So if they sit in Blue 2-their kit is Blue 2.  I'm in the process of getting the high school woods class to build a cubby for these so it's not dominos when my students go get them!

 
I asked the PTO to pay for the plastic storage bins (6 quart) from Target.  (Between 5 teachers we all have one pot of money to use for the school year from the PTO.)  I printed out the numbers and color coded them, laminated then used clear packing tape to secure them to the bins

Right now in the kit is:
  • 2 green felt pieces (JoAnns $.34)
  • spray painted popsicle sticks for rhythm dictation (longs and cut in half ones for prep and practice of ta/ti-ti)
  • red chips for rhythmic/melodic dictation (short-short or place on the staff)
  • Rhythm hearts in a baggie that have ta (red heart), ti-ti (pink heart), and quarter rest (white heart) on them.
  • Black string- when I'm prepping so-mi and putting the rhythm hearts high low gets visually confusing so I have the students grid off their "green board" and it's easier to see where the high-low icons go.





These kits have saved me SO much time during my class. The students walk in and all I have to say is get your kits!  I'm working to add more things for the older students (my sequence is all over the place I feel-still working on that!)



No comments:

Post a Comment